Friday, May 13, 2011

The Bandwagon

A while ago The Husband and I canceled cable to save money. It was a difficult time for the both of us. He was lost without his beloved ESPN and I was positive I was going to die without the Food Network. Surprisingly… we are both still alive and well. In an effort to alleviate some of our separation anxiety, we signed up for Netflix which we can stream through our Apple TV (Merry Christmas from Torrey’s work for that lovely little number).


At first we watched exactly 1 bazillion movies. Good ones too: Jewel of the Nile (Romance AND Action? Genius)…. Food Matters (Watch this NOW)…. Grown Ups (Pee your pants funny). And some not so good ones: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Can I please have those 112 minutes of my life back?)… 8 Seconds (maybe I just didn’t understand it because I’ve never ridden a bull)… and Salt (I wanted to like this one SO badly… but just couldn’t).


Then we got sick of movies. I think Scott Pilgrim pushed us over the edge. So, we moved on to TV series. Now, here is where I have to make a major confession… I am TV series inept. I blame it on Food Network and TLC. Why bother with any “popular” TV dramas/comedies when you have Paula, Buddy and THESE. (yum.)


THANKFULLY the husband is a bit more well versed in pop culture than I am, so he planned out our series line up.


First up! Prison Break.


Yes, I know. We’re a little late to jump on the bandwagon with this one. BUT! Have you seen it? It is a must see. The problem, is that I get a little TOO into my programs. While watching this, I would worry all day about what was going to happen to Sarah and Michael next. It doesn’t help that every episode ends on a total cliffhanger. We lost a lot of sleep while we were watching Prison Break. Not only because we would stay up late watching episode after episode, but also because I was CONVINCED Theodore Bagwell was going to attack me in the middle of the night.


The husband was glad for Prison Break to be over… I had a not so secret crush on Tweener, Sucre and Linc…. And also maybe Mahone…… and Kellerman…. And maybe Michael too. I even tried to make The Husband buzz his head. We are both SO glad we finished Prison Break.


Next…. Lost.

Again, we’re a little late to jump on the bandwagon. But.. WOW!!!! I used to balk at the many obsessive Lost fans I was acquainted with. I used to think “Really? It can’t be THAT good”… but it is…. Ooohhhhh, it IS!!


Again, I am getting a little too into my programs (and we’re only on season 3). I had a dream the other night that I was married to Sayid… and suddenly I’ve been stricken with the fear of flying. I’ve also had the Lost credits song stuck in my head for the PAST. 4. DAYS. (Yes, I have a crush on Jack, Sawyer, Jin, Desmond and of course Sayid). Don’t worry… we’re not TOO sick of Lost yet. We must push through!!!


Now, I am hooked on Glee.



I don’t feel like I’m AS late to jump on the bandwagon with this one… seeing as it is still in production, but I continue to ask myself why I thought Glee looked so dumb before. The Husband refuses to watch this one with me. I think its because instead of clutching him at all of the scary parts (see Prison Break and Lost) I am jumping on the couch singing at the top of my lungs… and rewinding and re-watching all of the duets until I can perform every word and harmony flawlessly.


I have a secret crush on Puck… but I have mixed feelings about this crush.. since Puck is technically (on the show) a “High School student”… I’m a creep, right?


Anyway… that’s it for now. Once Lost and Glee are over, we’ll need another bandwagon to be too late to jump on. I’m thinking the 9 seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies!!!


Of course, I’m only kidding….


Or AM I?

4 comments:

MulfHerd said...

I'm warning you...if you attempt to begin the journey of "24" you will forever be hooked and the same symptoms that pronounced themselves during your "lost" obsession will also arise (worrying about the characters, loss of sleep due to fear of being attacked, etc...) Don't say I didn't tell you so when you start watching this thrilling series!

Janece W. said...

Bones is another good one to watch on Netflix. It takes a little time to get into, but then I've really enjoyed it.

Jason (Warbucks) said...

Might I suggest "Firefly" and "Pushing Daisies". Two great shows that got cancelled too soon. I also LOVED Battlestar Galactica.

KatieP said...

I was going to suggest "Pushing Daisies" and "Firefly" but Jason beat me. Great minds....

You might also look at "Wonderfalls", "Dead Like Me", and "Arrested Development". All of these are tragically short-lived series(s) but I'm chalking that up to the brilliance of the series(s) and the ineptness of the general public to understand quirkiness.

Great blog!