Monday, April 7, 2008

First Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage, Then Comes...


So, I've successfully managed to make it over one of life's great hurdles this year... that being Marriage.  And, I have to say, marriage has treated me well thus far.  I married an amazing man who is amazing to me, and so far marriage has been... well.... Amazing.

You know that feeling when you order a sandwich and they forget to put on the pickles?  The sandwich is still great, and you are perfectly happy with the sandwich as it is, but still, you can tell, something is missing.  Well, that's how I started feeling several months after getting married.  I had successfully managed a husband for a month.  I hadn't killed him, he was fed and bathed, and always had clean underwear.  But, husbands can take care of themselves, and I found, more often than not, my husband was taking care of me, rather than I him.

I realized I needed something else to take care of... something that would be almost completely dependent on me for it's sole survival... something to fill that void!  I needed pickles on my sandwich!  So I had a sit down with the husband and I told him how I was feeling.  I explained my need for nurturing and caring for a living organism, I explained my want for pickles on my sandwich.  

After I gushed all of my feelings to a great husband, he took my hand and after a extra long pause said "Well, honey, if you really REALLY want a baby that bad, we can have one."  Uh... hold the phone there husband... BABY?!?!  I quickly had to explain that, those pickles on my sandwich are not a BABY, my pickles are, i don't know, a pet of some kind, maybe even a plant, but definitely NOT a baby.

So, after a huge sigh of relief from my husband we went to the pet store and bought me some fish.  After killing four of them and never feeding the other two, I realized something:  Maybe things and perfect how they are.  I know I'm not ready for a baby, I mean, I can't even take care of a few little goldfish!  Yes, I have those nurturing, mothering urges, but, that can definitely wait for a little bit.  What was i thinking, getting all excited for grown up responsibilities?! First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes goldfish, then comes a goldfish funeral, then comes another goldfish funeral, then comes another goldfish funeral.....                                                                                  

No comments: