Monday, July 30, 2012

The Calm Before the Storm


**This blog post has the potential to make some people a little uncomfortable.  If you are uncomfortable talking about a woman’s body… you should probably skip over this post... and probably several posts to come**

When you finally make that leap from “wish I could have a baby” to “trying to make a baby”, it is like embarking on an exciting adventure.  You jump at the opportunity to “get busy” with your partner.  It’s even more exciting and fun than it’s ever been, because every time you think to yourself “is this the time a little spermy will find an egg?”  Every time you feel a twinge of nausea, you rush to the store for a pregnancy test.  You are absolutely on edge each month as you wait for Mother Nature to pay her monthly visit and you excitedly hope and pray she’ll skip on by.  Sometimes (when you're alone), you stuff a pillow under your shirt to see how cute you'd look pregnant.

Trust me... we've all done it.  If you haven't, I applaud you on your self control.

It’s all so fun and exciting!!!  Only, I had one major problem.  You see, my whole life I’ve never had a regular menstrual cycle.  I didn’t even start until I was 15 or 16.  I guess you could say I was an incredibly late bloomer in that department (even though I had been wearing a bra since 4th grade).  FYI- the average age for a girl to get her first period is 12 years old.  Even once I finally DID get my period, it came in very irregular intervals.  I could go months and months without one… sometimes even a year.  Of course, as a teenager I saw this as a huge blessing.  I thought life couldn’t get any better, especially after hearing horror stories from all of my friends about their monthly cycle.

I have always been an incredibly private person about my body (obviously, I’m opening up about this all now… but as a teenager I would rather DIE than have to talk to my mom about woman stuff).  I didn’t even tell my mom when I had my first period.  I kept it all very quiet, I mean, it was MY personal business anyway, why should I have to tell anyone about it?  My point here is that I’m sure that if I had kept my mom in the know about my bodily functions, we would have pinpointed my problem much earlier.


When I got married and was put on birth control, my cycle was VERY regular.  This was because birth control forces you to have a period each month.  I wasn’t exactly thrilled about this, but I finally came to terms with it.  I figured, every other woman on earth has to have a monthly period, and I was now no exception.

And, here is where the problem came in… I went off birth control to make this baby I had wanted all of these years… but my body refused to comply.  Word to the wise: You cannot have a baby unless you first have a period.  For those who may be a little new to this whole “how to make a baby” thing, here’s a brief description of how it all works: 

Each month a woman’s ovaries release an egg into the fallopian tube (in hopes that it will be fertilized).  Up until this point, rising Estrogen levels have caused the walls of a woman’s uterus to thicken in preparation for a little fertilized egg to make a home there.  Whilst in the fallopian tube, the egg has the opportunity to get fertilized (this is where the sperm comes into play).  The egg then travels down into the uterus.  A fertilized egg will (hopefully) attach to the uterine wall, while a non-fertilized egg breaks apart.  When your egg doesn’t get fertilized, your body realizes its not going to have a baby, so the thickened lining of the uterus is no longer needed and thus evacuates the body.

Romantic, I know.  This “no period thing” went on for many, many (FAR too many) months.  Finally my best friend convinced me to go see my doctor to figure out what the heck was going on.  So, I went… and my baby journey took a dramatic turn for the worst.

No comments: